Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sailing on the Columbia River

So this is going to be old news but I thought I would have more time inbetween this blog and the one I am going to do right after. Last weekend....man this seems like forever ago, Matt and I headed up to Janzen Beach in Portland (for those of you who do not know Oregon very well, Janzen Beach is not really too beach like, and it is on a river not the ocean). Pam and George had the sail boat up there and this was our chance to go sailing...finally :) We had awesome weather and even enough wind for Matt to try his hand at sailing. We stayed Saturday night in the boat (sorry I don't have a photo of the spacious quarters :) ), and got an abbreviated version of life on the boat. Cooking and baking is done in a super tight space but Pam has the routine down and we had a BBQ Saturday night and a full breakfast Sunday morning. Sorry this post is so short but I have another one I need to get going on!


Matt ready to get out on the water. He was complaining to George that he needs to get different colored sail covers since everyone has blue (including Mollyhock) and Matt had a difficult time finding the boat after going up to the bathroom.

Matt taking control of the boat. He did a really good job steering it back and forth across the river. Sailing makes me a little nervous at times. Relying on the wind to propel me and not being able to get out of the way right when I want to is a little freaky sometimes. I am sure I would get used to it....but then again, maybe not :)


I was very impressed with Pam's skill on getting the boat in and out of the docks. It always looks like to me that the boat is going to float right into another boat, but not with Pam behind the wheel.

One of the many other sail boats that we had to dodge out on the river.

I had the best seat on the boat, cruising along at the front.

No comments:

Mexico 2006

Mexico 2006
Although this was the end of our trip, I thought this would be a good picture for the beginning of this website